Friday, April 20, 2012

Interview: Author Desiree Finkbeiner

Spotlight on Author Desiree Finkbeiner and her new series Morning Star:Ethos #1, which was released on March 28,2012.
LLM:What intrigues you about paranormal romance and suspense?
DF:I think deep down, every woman dreams of a perfect man- her hero, but we all know there is no such thing as a perfect man.  Fantasy is so much more exciting than reality, so paranormal romance captured readers who are looking for more than what this mortal life can offer. Of course, what is a good adventure without suspense, and some huge feat to overcome? The hero has to recue us from something, or he wouldn’t be a hero at all. So paranormal romance most definitely has to be plotted for suspense or the hero might as well be your average Joe.
LLM:Are there any similarities between you and your characters?
DF:Absolutely. There is a piece of me in every character,  some more than others. Certain situations in life will either bring out the best in us, or the worst. Each one of us are capable of both good and evil, so I am able to live all angles through my characters.
LLM:Who is your favorite author and what about their work draws you in?
DF:I’m most influenced by works with spiritual undertones. As a kid I loved Frank Herbert and Tolkien. At a darker time in my life, I was heavily influenced by Anne Rice.  But my work these days seems to be  most influenced by scripture, so readers might see a lot of doctrinal basis for my plots and story morals.
LLM:Who was the hardest character for you to write about?Who was you favorite?
DF:Brianna is the most difficult because the book is written in first person from her perspective. Her inner thoughts are heard throughout the story. So unless another character reveals something to her, or she experiences something first hand, she has to constantly think about her choices and what the consequences are. I’m in her shoes. Face it, being true to yourself is always more difficult than being true to others because it all begins with the self. So having to be someone else, living life through the character’s eyes can sometimes make decisions as difficult as if they were my own.
Of course Kalen is my favorite. Who wouldn’t love crafting the perfect hero?
LLM:Tell us something fun about you?
DF:I love linguistics! Accents and language are a huge hobby of mine. Anyone who gets to know me, will get to see my fun-loving side. My family and closest friends are accustomed to me going off on a tangent in some other dialect or character- even speaking a different language entirely. In fact, my family normally plays along. As you can guess, I grew up in a fun household, never a dull moment.
LLM:Was it difficult determining how to bring the characters to the page?
DF:Sometimes it’s easy, sometimes it’s difficult, Just depends on the scene. Some characters are easily expendable while other must be crafted more carefully so the reader becomes attached enough to care about them. Those are the difficult characters. Doing this without dragging the story on and on isn’t easy. The trick to introducing an important character, is by doing it with just enough background, in just the right place, so readers identify with them.
LLM:What is your favorite Quote?
DF:“Any man who will sacrifice liberty for security, deserves neither.” Ben Franklin
LLM:When did you know that writing was what you wanted to do?
DF:I’ve always had the desire to write and I have an archive full of stories and poetry, but it wasn’t until recently then I decided to release something to the public.
LLM:Are there any new projects in the works?
DF:Aside of completing the Ethos series, I am also working on a steampunk YA series.
LLM:Is there anything you would like to add? Maybe a question I haven't asked that you would like to answer?
DF:I’d like to invite new readers to find me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter. I’d love to hear from them.
For more information about Desiree visit:

Book Trailer


About the Book
It started with a mushroom, from another world... never before touched by a human hand, until Brianna... but life continued as normal... until a near fatal accident almost a decade later, reveals to Brianna... she's... different...Unexplained lab results, unusually fast healing, and recent sightings of Jurassic sized dragonflies... What is happening to her?When a peculiar man delivers her from a violent assault, she becomes enchanted by his heroism and inhuman abilities. Her rescuer, Kalen, is sworn to protect the powerful secret she has yet to realize, from an ancient foe with evil designs...With the secret exposed, our world is no longer safe. Kalen takes Brianna to Ethos, his home, unprepared for what happens next... An ancient prophecy unfolds and they must make make a choice... Give into their forbidden love, or sacrifice their heart's desire for a chance to save their worlds.


Purchase:Amazon 
Publisher: Hydra Publications 
Publication:March 28, 2012

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Great feature!! Thanx for hosting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice to meet you and I love your cover. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, thanks for the post! Any Author who can quote Ben Franklin rocks in my book!
    Anyway, I am your newest follower (found you on the making connections group on goodreads) and love your site!
    Hope you will check out mine as well!
    -Amanda
    http://shmandarinorange.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...