Friday, February 8, 2013

Review: Hysteria by Megan Miranda



Author: Megan Miranda
Title: Hysteria
Publication: February 5th 2013
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Pages: 336
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Mallory killed her boyfriend, Brian. She can't remember the details of that night but everyone knows it was self-defense, so she isn't charged. But Mallory still feels Brian's presence in her life. Is it all in her head? Or is it something more? In desperate need of a fresh start, Mallory is sent to Monroe, a fancy prep school where no one knows her . . . or anything about her past.But the feeling follows her, as do her secrets. Then, one of her new classmates turns up dead. As suspicion falls on Mallory, she must find a way to remember the details of both deadly nights so she can prove her innocence-to herself and others.

In another riveting tale of life and death, Megan Miranda's masterful storytelling brings readers along for a ride to the edge of sanity and back again.

Thoughts:Fracture was my first introduction to author Megan Miranda and I enjoyed the emotional depth and messages in it. So, when I saw this title was available to review, needless to say, I hopped at the chance to read it. The premise of Hysteria is what initially drew me in and the cover. Anyhow, I wondered how the main character Mallory would survive and overcome such a devastating experience.

In the beginning of the story Mallory is being shipped to boarding school rather quickly after the incident. She saddened by her mother, who seemingly appears to be afraid of her and troubled by the haunting feelings of her ex, Brian, Mallory keeps hearing his beating heart go " boom, boom, boom" every night. She thinks it's all in her head until the hand prints start appearing on her shoulder and she has no idea what's happening to her. Things at the new school appear to be as good as they can be, she feels like the rest of the students hate her and that they somehow know her secret and why she suddenly moved there. One night chaos breaks loose when she wakes up with blood on her hands and no alibi. 

Mallory is a mild-mannered character, she's afraid and has the tendency to break out and run. I liked how gradually the events of the night he ex died unfold and you get to see a different side to Mallory and the boy who she thought liked her. Hint: it's not the one she kills. I think my favorite character that I would have liked to see more developed with is Reid. He seemed to balance Mallory and try to be there for her even through all her drama. Actually my first favorite character would be Colleen, the honest, give it to you straight best-friend that Mallory has to leave behind. I think the best message I got from this book is that a true friend will go to hell and back for you, literally. Overall, the story starts off slow and then picks up at the end when all the action becomes intense. The characters are good, though the mean girls were typical just far more sinister. Overall, good read. 
3 stars

4 comments:

  1. We agreed on this a lot, overall it was a good tale, but I didn't flip over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one really hasn't caught my eye! I loved Fracture and this one sounds very good. Not sure why it doesn't interest me! Great review though. Might have to consider checking it out :)

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is interesting enough. I think I would like to give this book a try. I wonder if there is an audio version for it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way that her writing kind of plays with your mind. This was a great book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...