Sunday, February 10, 2013

Repost Review: Unravel Me by @TaherehMafi @harperteen

Author: Tahereh Mafi
Title: Unravel Me
Series: Shatter Me #2
Publication: February 5, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy
Pages: 465 pp.
Source: Around the World Arc Tours
Synopsis
tick, tick, tick, tick, tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.


She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.


Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.


In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.


Thoughts:  
Juliette has escaped whatever fate Warner had for her as a tool for the Reestablishment and now has the chance to be amongst those that understand that she is different. At Omega Point, a portion of the inhabitants have gifts and they all work together to make the operation of the facility run smoothly. Though Juliette has her freedom, she feels more trapped underground with them than she did with Warner. At least then she could see the sky. I think if she becomes any more withdrawn, she will internally combust. She is so focused on the fact that she doesn't want to hurt anyone that she sits balled up in the corner of her room rather than learning to harness her abilities. But it's not all about her; there are other lives at stake. For her to truly understand, it will take something drastic to happen.

Adam is different in this book because he has discovered something he's not ready to cope with, which makes him unable to share it with Juliette. Juliette has her secrets as well, one big one she discovered in the first book. Warner can touch her and she is keeping this from Adam. The thing about secrets, they have a way of coming out and Juliette figures this out the hard way. Does this stop her from keeping more information about Warner that may be crucial to the pending war? No.

Ugh! I can't decide which fella I like better, at the moment it's a tie. Warner surprised me with his emotional depth in this one. He strummed Juliette's heart strings like a pro, thoroughly confusing her more than she already is. Warner is a complex character and I'm starting to like him. Adam seems more unstable emotionally but he is going through a lot that is putting a strain on him. He is scared that he may lose Juliette. 

The leading lady, Juliette, in the beginning of this book, seemed the same. She doesn't seem to have grown much outside of her own personal bubble of uncertainty and confusion. She's too afraid to accept herself and the power that has been gifted to her. Juliette is more focused on the harm she can cause instead of the good she can do if she makes the effort to harness her powers. Towards the end, I began to see a glimpse of a new Juliette, sort of like a rebirth...maybe. O Juliette, Juliette! wherefore art thou, Juliette?

My favorite parts of the book are the scenes with Warner and Juliette's notebook. I like her thoughts in the notebook because she sounds more certain of who she is in the world and what she wants. And my second favorite part is when Kenji told Juliette off, priceless. She needed to hear all of it. Unravel Me is full of surprises and action and I loved them as they are unexpected. I look forward to seeing Juliette grow into the fighter that I know is simmering to get out and stop internalizing everything. 
Rating: 4.5 out 5

Some funny thoughts while I was reading: 
"If this girl faint one more time!" 
" That boy does not look that good, Dang it's like her brain gets all befuddled around hot boys. Jeez!" 
"Well played Warner, you sneaky rascal...I think, I like you." 
" Whoo-hoo! Kenji, about time someone told her about herself! High-Five!" 
"Finally, Juliette *sigh*, sheesh." 

7 comments:

  1. eek! you lucky dog! I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy. I loved shatter me. haha. "Well played, warner...." I loved your review and it is only fueling my need to read it! :) CANNOT WAIT. WOO!. D: sad now...

    _Book- Marks The Spot

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me even more excited to read this! Cannot wait!! Great review! New Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. Guess I'll have to get my hands on the first one. Also, I love the funny thoughts- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the first one yet- but what a cover! I really enjoyed your review and can't wait to get started! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My review posts Friday..and grr I love both boys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning towards the middle myself for both boys

      Delete
  6. I read Shatter Me last year and loved it. I still need to order this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...