Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Audio Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Author: Marie Lu
Narrators:Mariel Stern, Steven Kaplan
Title: Legend
Series: Legend #1
Publication: 2011
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Length: 7 hrs:48 mins
Source: Library


Synopsis
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.



Thoughts:Loved it. This is so good. I enjoyed June and Day's interactions the most because the heat between these two...steaming. The best part about the book is the action and these two are the center of it all. Legend is full of deception, lies and hope. June is a strong female lead balanced with a strong male lead, which I like this; I think this is a good fit for this series. The author has done a great job building this world and developing such rich, rounded characters. The plot and flows fluidly and the narrators translate this well into the audio book. 

I really loved the two part narrative of this book and I feel it transitioned well into the audio format. The narrators made this a great listen by using their delivery to make it more interesting to hear them speak. They have the best voices for this work. I found myself sitting in the car till the end of a chapter just see what was going to happen, so they had me captivated. I think the production and sound were done smoothly. Overall, this is a good listen.

5 comments:

  1. I listened to this one on audio as well. You are right, the strong male and female lead is perfect and it stands out. I hadn't thought about it before your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ABOUT TIME!!!!!! I really enjoyed the audio and I'm super duper jealous that you got to read the arc of Prodigy. I'm hoping the audiobook will be narrated by the same people again. I liked listening to it a lot...so much so that I sat in my car or would ride around for a while to finish a chapter or to get over a suspenseful part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, it took me a minute I know. But I finally wrote something about it. I liked listening to it, too.

      Delete
  3. I've had the physical copy of this one sitting on my shelf for a long time - there just always seemed to be a more interesting book to read first. It sounds like Legend is going to have to move up the list :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to know that the voice actors are a good match--that really makes a difference!

    eai(at)stanfordalumni(dot)org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...