Thursday, January 2, 2014

Review: Cress by @marissa_meyer

Author: Marissa Meyer
Title: Cress
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #3
Publication: February 4, 2014 
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends 
Source: Aroundtheworldarctours
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard. 

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 


When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

Cress has lived in a satellite for most of her life with her only companion being a computer program. Unwanted by her family, she's taken away to be destroyed but her skills gave her a new purpose that the Queen and her minions exploit for their evil use. Desperately she yearns for release from her little box in the sky and she has her sights set on one Captain Thorne, who just happens to be with Cinder, the girls she's tasked with locating. Cress's tired of being used for the destructive plans of Queen and devises a plan of escape that just happens to turn into a deadly adventure with the cutest guy in the world. 

Cress is adorable in her belief that she's a damsel in distress. She has this ideal of romance and being rescued by the handsome prince, which is understandable because she's had no interaction with anyone outside of her captor. Her experience with the world is through her window and the net...until a rescue attempt goes awry and she sees the world is much more dangerous and complex than she would've ever imagined herself. I liked that as the story progresses; she becomes a less damsel and more of a girl who can hold her own. 

There are many perspectives in this book from different facets of this world and it doesn't get confusing or disrupts the flow. I actually found it to move the pace along at a steady rhythm. Cinder struggles to come to terms with her power as she gets stronger she begins to fear that she will become just like the Queen. Kai knows what in store for him, if he goes through with the wedding but he can't come up with an alternative that doesn't result in more death. Wolf seems less himself in this book as he grapples with his fear for one of his friend’s safety. He's still scary but his spirit's wounded. Winter seems more unstable than the other girls and it's nice to get a glimpse of her and Lunar. Captain Thorne's absolutely hot and I enjoyed the interactions between him and Cress, which allowed for more insight into his personality. All these characters mesh well together and I'm enjoying how everything is playing out as they race to find the Lunar Princess, a cure for the deadly disease-spreading on earth and to stop the Queen. Cinder discovers that she's possibly the key to changing everything, she doesn't like it but as they uncover an interesting revelation about the disease, she begins to see that her fate's bigger than the desires of her heart. Overall, great read and look forward to the next book soon!



22 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm on the second book now and look forward to Cress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I enjoyed it and can't wait for book 4!

      Delete
  2. Wow
    I didn't know that the third book would be about repunzel
    but it looks really good
    I am intrigued
    great review
    Your reader
    soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Soma, I really liked Cress's character.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, you've got me so excited for this. I can't wait to read it. Didn't realize this wasn't the end of the series too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy, the last book I believe will be Winter.

      Delete
  4. I am definitely counting down the days to this book. This is my favorite series in a long time and I can't wait to get this book. I also can't wait to get to know Cress and Thorne better, plus meet Winter. SO FREAKING EXCITED. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think you will be pleased. I love all the characters and how each of the stories intertwine with the other.

      Delete
  5. I love this series! Great review! I can't wait to read this book and learn more bout the new character. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. heard amazing things about this book! cannot wait to read it and cress :3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read Cress. I love that the three girls are so different from each other. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dynamic between the girls is my favorite part as well!

      Delete
  8. I am so intrigued.I really love the series.Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, I can't wait to see how it all ends.

      Delete
  9. I better reread Scarlet... I love this series so much! I'm not big on sci=fi fantasy but for some reason the author's style really works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely understand, I'm enjoying this world that the author has created.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This series has been on my tbr list forewer. I really need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to begin this series of books. A fantastic review thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read Cinder last year, received Scarlet for Christmas from my in-laws and can not wait to get my hands on Cress! this is one of my favorites series. Glad to know that the series continues being as good in the third book as it was in the first :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh great review. I love that you didn't too much away. I can't wait to start these series. It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...